Sunday, November 20, 2011

Those Are So Twenty Years Ago!

Change is something that most people struggle with and are uncomfortable with. We enjoy our lives the way they are and whenever something begins to interrupt it, we find ourselves in a very uncomfortable place. This is exactly the case for Mr. Winkle, who wakes up from his nap of twenty years to find the world he once knew has drastically changed.

This is often the case for both students and teachers. As students transition from classroom to classroom, they are faced with different rules, schedules, and expectations. For any student, the first day of school is always a day full of both excitement and anxiety. But fearing the unknown and unfamiliar does not just apply to students, but teachers as well.

For teachers, this fear also occurs on the first day of school. Wondering if one is prepared enough or what students will be like are just a few concerns of the teacher. Just as for Mr. Winkle, technology can be something that makes teachers very uncomfortable. This should not be the case though. I feel that as educators we should use technology, whatever extent we are comfortable with, to better the education experience of students. In the video of Mr. Winkle Wakes, Winkle finds comfort in the monotonous classroom. I can only hope that my classroom in no way resembles the one in this video. I hope to further expand my knowledge of technology and integrate into every aspect possible. Students love technology and will be in the know, even if the teacher isn't. I feel that as teachers teaching to students in a world that is always moving and changing, the least we can can for our students is stay up to date with the technology because there are so many resources that would make learning more engaging and beneficial for students. Who knows, maybe these resources will even make things easier for students. But days spent lecturing? Those are so twenty years ago!

Watch Mr. Winkle Wakes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm1sCsl2MQY

1 comment:

  1. I loved watching Mr. Winkle's video. I thought it was great how you talked about fear of teachers and students. Everyone moves toward something that they are comfortable with just like Mr. Winkle's finding the boring school building. I think we all hope to not have the classroom that is in this video. I feel like we all want to be something so much more! :)

    ReplyDelete