Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Teachers As Learners

There are two fundamental parts of being an educator: the teacher, and the ever constant learner. This is the justification behind seminars, workshops, and all other forms of professional development that teachers are required to complete throughout their years of teaching. As teachers, we guide students on how to learn and then urge them to implement that knowledge through further lessons. In order to do this though, teachers themselves must be learners.

As educators, we must be actively engaged in the learning process ourselves. We must stay up to date with technology and curriculum and everything in between. We must read and research what is best for our students and how we can provide that for them, no matter the budget or resources. While the ideal situation is a school full of the top students, top technology, and experienced teachers. However, this is extremely unlikely to be the case. We must be able to use what we have to reach the students at the level they are and take them to the next. We are the people they look to for answers and resources, and if we fail to provide these answers or the avenues to reach them, then we fail as educators. And in order to do so, we must first find our avenues ourselves and explore the new developments in technology.

The video below provides examples of students who would have been more successful had their teachers allowed their input on technology in the classroom. I fear being this teacher, but in a way, I think that is a good thing. I want my students input, ideas, and concerns. As teachers we will learn just as much from our students as they do from us. It is our job to use this input to create a stronger learning environment.

Watch the video about 21st Century Teachers below:
https://sites.google.com/site/drasresources/i-need-my-teachers-to-learn

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post about teachers being learners. As a teacher your mind does not have a limit on what it can learn, learning is neverending. I also liked her comment that as teachers we must know all the answers or we must have a way for the child to search for the answers.It really made me think about how the mind has the possibility of growing or not growing to its full potential. I hope my future students and I will be able to learn together and then I will be able to provide all the answers!

    Learning is something that I feel will keep the mind alert and fresh and that will result in students becoming engaged and interested in their work. I really just want my classroom to stay a fun place where learning is desired by the students. By constantly learning and growing as an educator my students will become sucessful in everything they do.

    ReplyDelete